|Paco Public Market from 1911 (old photo)|
|Paco Public Market along Estero de Paco from 1911 (old photo)|
Paco Public Market is located along the edge of Estero de Paco connected to the Pasig River.Its architectural design was made by William Parsons and was built in 1911.
It was initially planned for commerce with waste and water management as a priority.The area became a bustling center of commerce and culture.
While local fishermen brought
their days catch directly from the ocean. It is considered to be one of the oldest market structures in the Philippines.
After World War II, When the Pasig river together with the market it eventually became polluted and eventually Paco Market was neglected for years.
|Paco Public Market along Estero de Paco before rehabilitation (2011)|
|Paco Public Market before redeveloping project|
Trash and shanties built up along the Estero de Paco, one of the 47 esteros that feed into the Pasig, and became one of the main sources of pollution for the once-pristine river.
Paco Market, which once flagrantly dumped its trash into the esteros, has sadly come to be one of the biggest contributors to the pollution that plagues the Pasig River.
|Paco Public Market along Estero de Paco after rehabilitation|
|Paco Public Market after redeveloping project (present photo)|
|Inside Paco Public Market|
The best way to preserve this historcal landmark is to maintane the consistency of
cleanliness, neatness and orderliness of the area since its structure had already been fully redeveloped.